Saturday 17 September 2016

Weddings and Mackintosh


This day last week I was at one of my best friends wedding back in Glasgow. She was a gorgeous bride in a gorgeous venue. The day before the weather was awful. Heavy rain almost all day, I felt nervous for my friend that it would continue into her special day but we were lucky. The next morning the sun was shining and it was as if nothing had happened the previous day. I had a little disaster before leaving for the wedding. I had bought these super cute shoes especially for the wedding. Due to my dodgy back I posted my wedding outfit home ahead of time to limit the amount I had to carry up to Glasgow. On the day of the wedding I popped the shoes on just before heading out. And the bloody clasp to secure the strap on the left shoe came off! There was no way I could sew it on or fix it in the time I had to get to the wedding. Therefore...


I was forced to wear my trainers!!! My feet are ginormous compared to my family so there was no help there. One thing the other guest's had to say - at least I would be comfortable! What a reddy!


The bride picked an amazing venue. It was held in House for an Art Lover next to Glasgow's Bellahouston park. I had only ever previously explored the swing park and gardens around the House in the past back when I looked after kids. For kids the swing park is pretty cool. The House was built from the designs by Charles Rennie MackIntosh and his wife Margaret Macdonald that they had submitted for a compitition for a German design magazine. The design interested Graham Roxburgh who was the Consulting Engineer responsible for restoring Mackintosh interiors in nearby Craigie Hall. Work began in 1990 but due to recession it wasn't opened to the public until 1996.










The gardens were absolutely luxurious. One good thing about all the rain in Glasgow is that it keeps the grass and plants looking healthy!








The bouquet the bride selected contained a lovely array of colours. It wasn't anything I had ever seen before, It looked spectacular!


I borrowed it for some pictures:


They thought of everything to keep the guests comfortable. A lovely little goody box in the bathroom:


And later, for all those ladies who looked fabulous in painful shoes unlike moi there was a basket full of slippers and flip-flops. So thoughtful! One thing I would add if I was ever to bother getting married - I would have a tent filled with bean bags or hammocks so that folk could take a nap after the meal. I was so ready for a wee forty winks after the five course feast we had. 

The bride is a bit comic and superhero mad. The tables therefore where named after some of the biggest characters from these genres. This was my table:


And last but not least was the amazing favour that the guest's got with their meal:



These groovy glasses where handmade by Pie in the Sky who you can find in many craft fairs in and around the Glasgow area.

Despite not knowing many people before the day I had a great time in an amazing venue with fab people. All the best to the new couple!

No comments:

Post a Comment